Christy's Conversations to Herself.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Four Hour Tour

The decision to travel to Thailand came about because my friend Nancy was unhappy at her job and was looking for new direction in her life. She decided to quite her job and travel around the world for 4 months. She asked Steve and I if we would be interested in visiting her in Thailand. Already having an itch to travel to the East, I didn't have to think over it much and was quickly looking for the best airfare. Our itinerary for the trip was to spend New Years in Patong, head to Bangkok for about a day on Jan. 2nd then take a bus to Surat Tani, where we would take a ferry to an island called Ko Samui and then end on another island called Koh Pangang. Nancy was traveling though out Thailand prior to our arrival and decided to change our New Years plans after visiting the small island of Phi Phi. After being here for 3 days, it was a great idea to make the change. The island is gorgeous and there aren't any cars. We have been relaxing by the pool, taking advantage of the inexpensive spa services and venturing out on day trips.

In the past four days of being here, yesterday was the more exciting! We went on a four hour ferry tour that took us to Monkey Beach, snorkeling and to Maya Bay Beach, where they filmed the movie the Beach. Once our ferry reached Monkey Beach, it stopped about 200 yards from the shore. We had the option to either swim or take a boat. We decided to swim. We now refer to this as "the swim to survive". I can swim, but I'm not a very strong swimmer. Once I got ready to jump from the top of the ferry, I realized this was going to be a work out. After making my jump, I became somewhat concerned about the distance with the waves swooshing me around. Steve, aka my lifeguard, stayed close by. With a combination of swimming on my back and doing the side stroke, I made it pretty far, but as I grew increasingly tired and kept taking in salt water I started to get concerned. Finally, Steve came to help me and I was saved. I think all of us agreed that the next time we'll take the boat!!! The trip to Monkey beach was very quick, but my favorite. I was able to feed the monkeys!!! Their little paws felt so soft on my hand and they were so cute.

After Monkey Beach, we went snorkeling. I have never been snorkeling except in a pool, so I was very excited to try it out in the ocean. After my tiring swim, I was also concerned about how well I was going to be able to stay afloat. Once I was in the water, I didn't have a problem. It was really cool to see all of the colorful fish! I definitely want to learn how to dive after this experience.

Maya Bay Beach was our last destination. This place was amazing and untouched, unlike the rest of the areas I have been. Steve and I ventured along a path to the other side of the island, where we found a small hole that lead to a tiny cave that opened up to the ocean. Although difficult to get into, the view was a amazing. We also stumbled on the home of some crags. They are such silly walkers!!! On my way out of the cave, I slipped on some stones and fell into one of the many shallow pools of water. Unfortunately, I had my camera on me!!!! The camera was not savable, but the disk was not wet, so I'm hoping my photos are still accessible. Luckily I wasn't holding our video camera!!!

Today, we leave for Krabi, a beach town on the East Coast of Thailand. We will be there for a couple of days and then head to Ko Samui. Happy New Years to everyone!

3 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Love hearing about your travels, Christy! Wow... I wish I would have had the guts to quit my job to travel, like your friend.

January 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM  
Blogger dria said...

Sounds great. :) Have lots of fun for all of us here in the COLD, YUCKY winter weather. I'm sure you miss it so!

January 3, 2009 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger jengarvey said...

I hate you. Your trip sounds amazing! Bummer about the camera. Oh well, I'm sure it was worth the adventure. Tomorrow is the big day! I will be sure to tell you all about it:)

January 4, 2009 at 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home